What's it like to be a Solutions Architect?
A Solutions Architect is responsible for designing, developing and implementing technical solutions to address an organisation’s business challenges. They provide technological solutions to business requirements, making sure that the resulting systems align with the organisation's goals and objectives. Solutions Architects collaborate closely with various stakeholders, including project managers, developers and infrastructure teams. They start by assessing the organisation's needs by analysing business requirements, existing systems and technological constraints. They work closely with stakeholders to understand the scope of the problem and identify potential solutions. A Solutions Architect will also design comprehensive technical solutions that cover software architecture, infrastructure design, data management, security measures and integration strategies.
Tasks and duties
- Analysing business requirements and assessing technical feasibility for systems.
- Designing comprehensive and scalable technical IT solutions.
- Collaborating with businesses to define solution scope and objectives.
- Selecting and recommending appropriate technologies and frameworks.
- Creating detailed architecture diagrams and technical specifications.
- Identifying and mitigating potential risks and challenges.
- Evaluating and integrating third-party services and APIs.
- Leading and participating in cross-functional development teams.
- Providing technical guidance and oversight throughout the project lifecycle.
To become a Solutions Architect in Singapore, you typically need a combination of education, experience and technical skills.
Graduate with a bachelor degree in a relevant field such as computer science, information technology, engineering or a related discipline.
Gain experience in software development, system design and architecture. Employers may look for job seekers with several years of relevant professional experience.
Become proficient in various programming languages such as Java, Python or C#.
Consider completing relevant certifications for a Solutions Architect role, such as AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect, Google Cloud Professional Cloud Architect or the TOGAF (The Open Group Architecture Framework) certification.