What's it like to be a Functional Consultant?
Functional Consultants are professionals who are hired by companies to give advice and diagnose bottlenecks for optimisation in an organisation’s information systems. They communicate with employees and the IT department of the company to get feedback on technical workflows and provide feedback to solve problems. They then present new workflow proposals and conduct training sessions to introduce employees to new systems. Functional Consultants work in the technology, finance, and supply chain industries. Functional Consultants may progress to becoming Solutions Architects.
Tasks and duties
- Obtaining feedback on pain points from management and employees.
- Diagnosing and identifying workflow and system problems.
- Presenting new system proposals and making recommendations.
- Researching the latest technology developments and industry trends.
- Designing optimised information systems and policies.
- Conducting training sessions with employees to implement new systems.
- Building and maintaining a strong business network in one’s industry.
A bachelor degree in a relevant field and industry experience are necessary to work as a Functional Consultant. Problem-solving, project management, and communication are key skills for the role.
Graduate with a bachelor degree in information systems, computer science, software engineering, or another related field.
Complete an internship in a tech firm or the IT department of a recognised company.
Gain industry experience by participating in boot camps, volunteering in the tech team of student and social service organisations, or taking freelance IT jobs.
Get an entry-level job in IT, such as Systems Analyst or Technical Support Representative.
Gain industry experience, progressing to higher roles such as IT Manager.
Get relevant qualifications such as the Microsoft Certified Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Consultant Associate, PL-200 Microsoft Power Platform Functional Consultant Training Course, or NetSuite ERP Consultant Certification.
Progress to higher roles such as Senior Functional Consultant or Solutions Architect.