What's it like to be a Doctor?
Doctors may work in hospitals, clinics and other medical facilities to provide treatment, care and health counselling to patients. Their duties vary according to their specialisations. However, their main tasks are to examine patients to give proper diagnosis, recommend treatments, give medical prescriptions, and refer them to specialists or hospital care.
Tasks and duties
- Addressing a patient’s health issues by studying their medical histories, and through treatments, diagnostic tests and referrals.
- Suggesting or carrying out procedures when necessary.
- Prescribing medication according to a patient’s needs.
- Making recommendations on nutritional changes, fitness programs and other lifestyle changes to boost a patient’s health.
- Reviewing and explaining test results to patients and their families.
- Being updated on medical advancements, such as technology and treatments.
Aside from strong medical knowledge, Doctors need solid communication skills to effectively interact with patients and explain medical results in simpler terms. They work with nurses, physician assistants, and other medical professionals to administer proper health care. Examples of specialisations include cardiology, surgery, paediatrics and internal medicine.
Doctors need strong skills in leadership, problem-solving and decision-making. Extensive education and experience is required to enter this role.
Finish an MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) course, which takes around five years to complete. This undergraduate degree will teach you the basics of various medical fields such as human anatomy, pathology and applied medical biochemistry.
Complete your housemanship. Work as a house officer in a healthcare institution. This gives you a chance to apply all your learnings in medical school.
Secure your registration at the Singapore Medical Council, which governs and regulates the country’s medical profession.
Before practising as a specialist, get accreditation from the Specialists Accreditation Board.
Expand your knowledge by completing a masters degree.